No. 41─TINGALUR INSCRIPTION OF KO-NATTAN VIKRAMACHOLA,
K. A. NILAKANTA SASTRI, MYSORE, AND T. N. SUBRAMANIAM, MADRAS
Tiṅgaḷūr is a small village about 7½ miles north-west of the Perundurai Railway Station in
the Erode Taluk of the Coimbatore District, Madras State, and forms along with Vijayamaṅgalam,
another village about 4 miles to its south, one of the few Jaina centres in the Tamil country.
Besides the Jaina temple of Pushpanātha, it contains two other temples, one for Śiva (Chandramauḷīśvara) and the other for Vishṇu (Alagiyarāja-Perumāḷ). In inscriptions, the Jaina temple is
known as Chandravasati, while the Śiva temple is referred to as that of Chandrapura-uḍaiyār
or Chandrapurēśvaram-uḍauyār. These appear to have been so called after the name of the
village Tiṅgaḷūr, the Tamil word tiṅgaḷ meaning the moon (chandra).
This village which lies in the heart of the Koṅgu country is mentioned in the Śendalai pillar
inscriptions as one of the several places where the Muttaraiyan chief, Perumbiḍugu Muttaraiyan
alias Śuvaran Māran, fought and gained victories, At Tiṅgaḷūr he is said to have captured the
elephants of the Pāṇḍya. It will thus be seen that the antiquity of the village dated from the
8th or 9th century of the Christian era.
The subjoined inscription, which is found engraved on the door post of the kitchen in the
Jaina temple at Tiṅgaḷūr, is now edited here from an inked impression, kindly placed at our disposal by the Government Epigraphist for India.
This short record consists of 21 lines of writing neatly ruled out between each line ; the first
line containing the words svasti śrī is written in the Grantha script. The remaining twenty
lines are in the Tamil language and script.
The way in which the numerical figures for the Śaka year 967 are written in the record
deserves notice. The figure for 9 is followed by the symbol for 100 as usual in all the other inscriptions from the Tamil country. After that the figures for 6 and 7 are written consecutively without
the symbol for 10 intervening, as if these figures have been written according to the system of
decimal notation. It is true that numerals are found expressed in decimal notation in the North
Indian inscriptions from about 600 A.D.; but it has not been found in the South, particularly in
the Tamil inscriptions. It may, therefore, be taken that the symbol for 10 has been left out
The orthographical peculiarities found in the inscription are few. The use of the pronoun
nān in the first person singular as found in this inscription, though not unknown to the records
 ARSIE for the year 1905 contains 17 inscriptions (Nos. 602-618) secured from this place ; excepting one
record (No. 602) of Hoysala Vīra-Rāmanātha and another (No. 617) of Jaṭāvarman Sundarapāṇḍya, all the
others belong to various kings of the Koṅgu line of rulers.
 Cf. the inscription edited here.
 ARSIE, 1905, No. 603.
 Ibid., No. 605.
 Above, Vol., XIII, p. 137, where the editor has identified the place with the village of the same name situated
about 8½ miles north-east of Tañjāvūr and well-known as the native village of Appūdi-Nāyanār, one of the sixty-three Śaiva devotees. But the inscription describes the place as “ Tiṅgaḷūr where descending clouds [rest]” and
this description will be appropriate only to the village in the Coimbatore District to the west of Śendalai and not
to the village of the same name in the Tanjavur District to the east of Śendalai.
 Ibid., p. 147, Inscription F on the third pillar.
 ARSIE, 1905, No.614.