No. 29.─ ADHABHARA PLATES OF MAHA-NANNARAJA
BAL CHANDRA JAIN, RAIPUR
Aḍhabhāra (Aḍbhār or Arbhār), about 40 miles from Bilaspur, is a village in the Sakti Tahsir
of the Bilaspur District of Madhya Pradesh. On the 5th of August 1954, when a cultivator
named Bodhram Bhatku Teli was digging earth in his Khasra No. 747 of that village, he found
the present plates buried in the field. They were deposited in the sub-treasury at Sakti where
they remained for several months. They were later acquired by the Deputy Commissioner of
Bilaspur and presented to the Central Museum, Nagpur.
The set consists of three plates, the first and third of which are inscribed on one side and
the second on both the sides. Each plate measures 8″ in length, 4·95″ in breadth and about ·1″
in thickness. The second plate is somewhat thicker than the others. About 1″ from the middle
of the proper right edge of each plate, there is a round hole (·6″ in diameter) for the seal-ring to
pass through. This seal-ring is now lost. The weight of the three plates together is 115¼ tolas.
There are 27 lines in the inscription : IB─8, IIA─8, IIB─7, IIIA─4. The lower portion
of the last plate is blank and the record incomplete. The letters, which are neatly and deeply
engraved, are each about ½″ in size. The characters are of the box-headed variety and very
closely resemble those of records like the Rajim and Baloda plates of Tīvaradēva. The length
of medial ī is denoted by a dot in the circle which denotes its short form. Medial au s tripartite
and the subscript r resembles in many places the sign of the vowel ṛi (see śri in lines 1, 7 and 9).
The final form of m occurs in line 24. Punctuation is denoted by a vertical line with its top bent
towards the left and followed by another vertical line.
The language is Sanskrit and, with the exception of the benedictory and imprecatory verses
at the end, the whole record is in prose. Its language differs from the formal portions of the
grants of Tīvaradēva and Mahā-Śivagupta Bālārjuna. The inscription is somewhat carelessly
written. The writer has used in many places medial i for medial ī. Anusvāra and visarga have
often been unnecessarily used while anusvāra, visarga and the final consonants are omitted in
many cases. As regards orthography, a constant preceding and following r is double in
some cases. The letter b is sometimes used for v (see ºabhibṛiddhi in line 15 and prativastabya in
line 20). Anusvāra is wrongly changed to ṅ before a sibilant in vaṅśa (line 5) and to n before
s in nṛiśansā in line 22 while n is used for ṇ in punya in line 15. The letter d is omitted in
udiśya in line 21 and ētadvaya in line 23.
The object of the inscription is to record the grant of a village named Kōntiṇīka, situated
in the vishaya or district of Ashṭadvāra, to a Bhāgavata Brāhmaṇa named Nārāyaṇ-ōpādhyāya
who belonged to the Kauṇḍinya gōtra and the Mādhyandina śākhā, by the illustrious Mahā-Nannarāja, son of Mahāśiva-Tīvararāja. The king, who was born in the lunar dynasty and was
an ardent worshipper of Vishṇu, made the grant for the merit of himself and his parents. The
plates were issued from Śrīpura and the gift was made on the 12th day of the dark half of the
month of Bhādrapada on the occasion of the saṅkrānti.
 For the antiquities of this place, see Bilaspur District Gazeteer, p. 255 ; Hiralal, Inscriptions in the C. P.
and Berar, 1932, No. 230.
 CII, Vol. III, pp. 295 ff.; above, Vol. VII, pp. 106 ff.