The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Index

Introduction

Contents

List of Plates

Additions and Corrections

Images

Authors

Contents

D. R. Bhat

P. B. Desai

Krishna Deva

G. S. Gai

B R. Gopal & Shrinivas Ritti

V. B. Kolte

D. G. Koparkar

K. G. Krishnan

H. K. Narasimhaswami & K. G. Krishana

K. A. Nilakanta Sastri & T. N. Subramaniam

Sadhu Ram

S. Sankaranarayanan

P. Seshadri Sastri

M. Somasekhara Sarma

D. C. Sircar

D. C. Sircar & K. G. Krishnan

D. C. Sircar & P. Seshadri Sastri

K. D. Swaminathan

N. Venkataramanayya & M. Somasekhara Sarma

Index

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

EPIGRAPHIA INDICA

No. 6─GOLD COINS OF DANDINAGOVA

(1 Plate)

P. B. DESAI, DHARWAR

In November 1956 plaster casts of ten gold coins were received for examination in the office of the Government Epigraphist for India from the Prince of Wales Museum of Western India, Bombay. These coins with two more, according to the information furnished, were sent to the said Museum by the Mamalatdar of Ramdurg, Belgaum District, Mysore State. The details regarding the discovery of the coins as communicated by the Numismatist of the said Museum in his letter, dated the 24th January 1957, are as follows :

“The coins were found on the 16th June 1950 by one Shri Namadevappa Ningappa Badiger in a field belonging to Shri Shankarappa Devarayappa Badiger in the village of Mudakavi, six miles from Ramdurg, about a furlong from the Ramdurg-Badami Road. It is said that the man, while going through the field, noticed a small earthern pot lying there. On breaking it, he recovered the 12 gold coins which were later deposited at the Ramdurg Police Station.”

These ten coins which are circular in shape bear close resemblance to one another in their mould and design. Their diameter is about 1·5 centimeter on average. Their weights ignoring slight variations are stated to be as follows : Nos. 1-2─60 grains ; Nos. 3-8─ 59·75 grains ; No. 9─60·25 grains and No. 10─59 grains.

On the obverse of the coins is depicted under decorations the figure of a warrior facing right, going for a fight. He wears a helmet and armour, holding in the right hand a long dagger pointing to the front and a hawk in the left hand which is bent and turned upwards. Figures of the sun and crescent moon are shown to the right and left of the warrior’s head. This figure apparently represents the issuer of the coins, whose identity is discussed below. The reverse bears the legend in Kannaḍa characters of the 12th century, inscribed within two circles, the outer one of which is dotted. The coins appear to have been struck from more than one die. On account of the difference in the arrangement of the letters in the legend, it is clear that at least two different dies were used for the two legends. The readings of the legend on the two types are as follows :

The above legend is a combination of two titles Nigaḷaṅkamalla and Daṇḍinagōva. Both these titles are familiar to the students of Kannaḍa epigraphy as having been enjoyed by different rulers of various dates. But, for the identification of the particular chief who issued these coins under his titles only, interesting information is available from an inscription of the area.

This inscription[1] comes from Torgal in the Ramdurg Taluk. It is dated 1187-88 A.D. and describes the achievements of a local chief by name Barma-bhūpāla who administering the areas round about Toragale (modern Torgal) which was his capital. By virtue of his valour,

__________________________________________________

[1] Ind. Ant., Vol. XII, pp. 95 ff.

Home Page