The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Index

Introduction

Contents

Additions and Corrections

Images

Contents

Rev. J.E. Abbott

R.G. Bhandarkar

Prof. G. Buhler

W. Cartellieri

J.F. Fleet

E. Hultzsch

Prof. Kielhorn

Prof. Kielhorn, and
H. Krishna Sastri

H. Luders

G.V. Ramamurti

J. Ramayya

Vajeshankar G. Ojha, and
TH. Von Schtscherbatskoi

V. Venkayya

E.W. West

Index

List of Plates

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

EPIGRAPHIA INDICA

No. 46.─ TOTTARAMUDI PLATES OF KATAYA-VEMA ;

SAKA-SAMVAT 1333.

BY. J. RAMAYYA, B.A., B.L.

These copper-plates are said to have been discovered more than thirty years ago by one Mokkapatla Râjappa of Tottaramûḍi in the Amalâpuram tâluka of the Gôdâvarî district, while digging for earth on the site of a ruined house. I obtained them in 1892 through the kindness of a friend, and published the inscription in the Telugu paper Chintâmaṇi for August 1893 at Rajahmundry. The plates are now deposited in the Madras Museum.

The grant is inscribed on three copper-plates, measuring 9½ by 5 inches each, and weighing in all 3Љ 7½oz.[4] The plates are numbered, and were held together by a (now broken) copper ring, passed through circular holes on the left-hand side, and surmounted by the figure of a couchant bull, the vehicle of Śiva, which rests on a plain pedestal. The sun and the crescent of the moon are soldered on the ring behind and in front of the pedestal. The diameter of the ring is about 3¾″ ; its thickness about ⅜″; the height of the bull 1¼″; and the length and breadth of the pedestal 1⅛″ by ¾″. The plates are in a fair state of preservation. Each of them bears writing on both sides. There are thirteen lines on each side except the last, which has only six lines. The letters are deeply cut and clear.

The characters used are of the old Telugu type. The following are some of the instances in which they differ from the modern Telugu characters. The talakaṭṭu or secondary form

_______________________________
[4] This is exclusive of the weight of the ring, and of a piece of the third plate which has unfortunately been mislaid ; see p. 324, note 8.

Home Page