The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Index

Introduction

Contents

Additions and Corrections

Images

Contents

Rev. J.E. Abbott

R.G. Bhandarkar

Prof. G. Buhler

W. Cartellieri

J.F. Fleet

E. Hultzsch

Prof. Kielhorn

Prof. Kielhorn, and
H. Krishna Sastri

H. Luders

G.V. Ramamurti

J. Ramayya

Vajeshankar G. Ojha, and
TH. Von Schtscherbatskoi

V. Venkayya

E.W. West

Index

List of Plates

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

EPIGRAPHIA INDICA

No. 6.- SALOTGI PILLAR INSCRIPTIONS.
BY PROFESSOR F. KIELHORN AND H. KRISHNA SASTRI.

The pillar which contains these inscriptions, was originally at Sâlôṭgi,[2] a large village six miles south-east of Iṇḍî, the chief town of the Iṇḍî tâlukâ of the Bijâpur district of the Bombay Presidency, and has now been placed in the chauḍi at Iṇḍî. A translation of one of the inscriptions (the one here called A) has been published, with a lithograph of the greater part of the text, by the late Mr. S. P. Pandit, in the Indian Antiquary, Vol. I. p. 205 ff. We now edit these inscriptions from impressions which have been kindly supplied to us by Dr. Fleet.

The pillar is inscribed on all its four faces. On the front or first face, above the writing, are some sculptures : towards the top a liṅga, and below it a cow and calf, and something else which has been defaced. The first face of the pillar contains 32 lines of writing in Nâgarî characters and, below them, 5 lines in Old-Kanarese characters, covering a space of 3′ 5″ high by from 1′ 4″ to 1′ 4½″ broad. The second face contains 30 lines of writing in Nâgarî characters and, below them, 8 lines in Old-Kanarese characters, covering a space of 3′ 8″ high by from 9″ to 10″ broad. The third face contains 21 lines of writing in Nâgarî characters and, below them, 4 lines in Old-Kanarese characters, covering a space of about 3′ 2″ high by 1′ 4″ broad.

______________________________________
[2] See the Bombay Gazetteer, Vol. XXIII. p. 674.

Home Page