The Indian Analyst
 

South Indian Inscriptions

 

 

Contents

Introduction

Preface

Contents

List of Plates

Abbreviations

Corrigenda

Images

Introduction

The Discovery of the Vakatakas

Vakataka Chronology

The Home of The Vakatakas

Early Rulers

The Main Branch

The Vatsagulma Branch

Administration

Religion

Society

Literature

Architecture, Sculpture and Painting

Texts And Translations  

Inscriptions of The Main Branch

Inscriptions of The Feudatories of The Main Branch

Inscriptions of The Vatsagulma Branch

Inscriptions of The Ministers And Feudatories of The Vatsagulma Branch

Index

Other South-Indian Inscriptions 

Volume 1

Volume 2

Volume 3

Vol. 4 - 8

Volume 9

Volume 10

Volume 11

Volume 12

Volume 13

Volume 14

Volume 15

Volume 16

Volume 17

Volume 18

Volume 19

Volume 20

Volume 22
Part 1

Volume 22
Part 2

Volume 23

Volume 24

Volume 26

Volume 27

Tiruvarur

Darasuram

Konerirajapuram

Tanjavur

Annual Reports 1935-1944

Annual Reports 1945- 1947

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 2, Part 2

Corpus Inscriptionum Indicarum Volume 7, Part 3

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 1

Kalachuri-Chedi Era Part 2

Epigraphica Indica

Epigraphia Indica Volume 3

Epigraphia
Indica Volume 4

Epigraphia Indica Volume 6

Epigraphia Indica Volume 7

Epigraphia Indica Volume 8

Epigraphia Indica Volume 27

Epigraphia Indica Volume 29

Epigraphia Indica Volume 30

Epigraphia Indica Volume 31

Epigraphia Indica Volume 32

Paramaras Volume 7, Part 2

Śilāhāras Volume 6, Part 2

Vākāṭakas Volume 5

Early Gupta Inscriptions

Archaeological Links

Archaeological-Survey of India

Pudukkottai

INSCRIPTIONS OF THE MAIN BRANCH

 

No. 10: PLATE X
DUDIĀ PLATES OF PRAVARASĒNA II

...THESE plates were in the possession of some Gonds at Dudiā in the Aser pargaṇā of the Chhindwārā District of Madhya Pradesh. They have been edited before, with facsimiles, by Dr. Kielhorn in the Epigraphia Indica, Vol III, pp. 258. They are edited here from the same facsimiles.

...“The copper-plates are four in number, each of which measures 71/2” long by 35/8” broad. The second and third plates are inscribed on both sides, the first plate is so on one side, and the fourth is blank and merely serves to protect the writing on the second side of the third plate. The plates are quite smooth, their edges having been neither fashioned thicker nor raised into rims; but the writing, nevertheless, is in an excellent state of preservation. About 11/4” distant from the middle of the proper right margin, each plate has a hole, about 7/I6” diameter, for a ring on which the plates were strung. The ring is between ¼” and 3/8” thick, and 37/8” in diameter. The two ends of the piece of copper of which it is formed are flattened off, and contain holes for a rivet, which has been lost. On the ring slides a copper band, ¾” broad, which is bent into a ring of 7/8” by 13/8” in diameter, and the two ends of which are soldered together. Through the soldered part a hole is drilled, which corresponds to a hole in the centre of a circular seal; and a rivet, which also lost now, must have held the copper band and the seal together. Owing to the loss of the two rivets, the ring, the copper band and the seal are now quite loose. The seal is 31/I6” diameter, and has across its surface a legend in four lines. The weight of the four plates is 31/4 lbs.; that of the ring, the copper band and the seal is ½ lb.; total, 33/4 lbs.1”

...The characters belong to the box-headed variety of the southern alphabets and resemble those of the preceding Indore plates. Like the latter, they show two forms of n and b; the curve of l encircles the letter on the left as in lalāmasya in line 1 of the seal; the sign of the jihvāmūlīya occurs in line 22 and that of the upadhmānīya in line 3 of the seal and line 16 of the plates. Inter-punctuation is shown by one or more horizontal or vertical strokes. The language is Sanskrit, and, with the exception of the legend on the seal and one imprecatory verse in line 27-28, the whole record is in prose. As regards orthography, we find that a consonant has been reduplicated before and after r as in parākkram-, lines 4-5 and –Āptōryyām-, line 1; before y as in Bhāgiratthy-amala-, line 5; and after anusvāra in saṁvvatsarē, line 28.

...The inscription, which opens with dṛishṭam, is one of the Vākāṭaka Mahārāja Pravarasēna II. His genealogy is given here exactly as in the Jāmb plates, his maternal grandfather being called Dēvagupta. The object of it is to record the grant, by Pravarasēna, of 25 (nivartanas) of land at Darbhamalaka in the Chandrapura saṅgamikā, to one Yakshārya of the Kauśika gōtra, and of sixty (nivartanas) of land2 at the village of Karmakāra in the Hiraṇyapura bhoga to one Kāliśarman of the Kauṇḍinya gōtra. The order is addressed to the royal officers, soldiers and policemen in the Ārammi-rājya in which evidently both the aforementioned villages were situated. The charter was written by Gōladāsa while Namidāsa was the Sēnāpati. It was issued from Pravarapura.
_______________

1 Ep. Ind., Vol. III, pp. 258-59.
2 The figures of land (bhūmi) given here, like those in the Chammak plates, probably refer to the nivartanas. See line 22 of the Paṭṭan plates (No. 13, below) which mention 400 nivartanas of land according to the royal measure.

<< - 42 Page