INSCRIPTIONS OF THE PARAMARAS OF MALWA
DEPALPUR COPPER-PLATE INSCRIPTION OF BHOJADEVA
No. 13; PLATE XV
DĒPĀLPUR COPPER-PLATE INSCRIPTION OF BHŌJADĒVA
[Vikrama] Year 1079
...THE plates bearing this inscription were found, is 1931, in the possession of Kishore Singh
Kanungo, a resident of Dēpālpur, which is an ancient town situated about 40 kms. to the
north-west of Indore and included in the District of the same name, in Madhya Pradesh.
The exact circumstances and the year of the find are unknown. However, the plates were purchased from the owner for the Indore Museum, by Shri R. G. Ojha, who was then the Curator
of the Museum and who edited the inscription engraved on them, in the Indian Historical Quarterly, Volume VIII, pages 305 ff., with transcript in Nāgarī (pp. 311-13), English translation
(pp. 314 f.) and now facsimiles facing pp.306 and 312. The inscription is edited here from the original
plates which are now preserved in the Indore Museum, as just remarked.
...As stated above, the plates are two in number, each varying from 33.5 to 33.6 cms. in length
and from 22.2 to 22.7 cms. in breadth. They are well preserved but portions of their surface are
corroded here and there by rust, and the writing on the first plate is more or less worn at many
places. The edges of the plates have been fashioned thicker and are raised into rims, to protect
the writing. They are held together by two circular rings of copper, which pass through two
ring-holes, each of about 1.6 cms. diameter and separated be an intervening space of 14.5 cms.,
made in the lower margin of the first and the upper margin of the second, disturbing the continuity of the writing in that line. The rings have their ends open. Each of them is .9 cm. thick
and 5.7 cms. in diameter. The plates with the rings weigh 3.28 kilograms.
...Both the plates are inscribed only on the inner side. The letters, which vary in size from
.8 to 1.2 cms, are well formed but they are not cut deep and the plates, being fairly thick, do
not show the marks of engraving on the other side. The inscription consists of 30 lines of writing, each plate bearing 15 lines which include the sign-manual of the king in the end, in letters
which are smaller, about one-third of the size of the others. The length of the last six lines of
the main record (11. 24-29) is shorter by 10 cms. than that of the other lines, as an area ( 10.5 square)
in the left lower corner of the second plate is occupied by a rectangle containing the figure of a
Garuḍa, the emblem of the Paramāra rulers of Mālwā and generally to be found on their copper-plate charters. The figure is flying and facing left.
 This akshara is followed by a small hollow circle.
The place lies at 22* 51’ N. Lat.; 75⁰ 37’ E. long and appears to be associated with Paramāra king Dēvapāla. For the antiquities found at this place, see Prog. Rep. of A.S.I., W.C., for 1919-20, p. 102; also see
Indore State Gaz., Vol. II, p. 13.